Recipes courtesy of I Scream Sandwich!
by Jennie Schacht
I got lots of great ideas and tips from this book. At the time of this post I just wanted to quickly make some goodies, so I bought the cookies, ice cream, gelato and sorbet, although this book does have recipes for ice cream, cookies, sorbet, frozen yogurt, etc. I selected six flavor combinations from the book, and those individual recipes and photos are below, as well as a recipe for the chocolate shell to dip your sandwiches in. When Mark saw these stacked up in the freezer, his eyes popped out of his head and I heard the faint sound of the aooogah horn from Looney Tunes in the background. Enjoy!
Ice Cream Sandwich Ingredients
cookie or bread of choice
ice cream, sorbet, gelato, sherbet, or frozen yogurt of choice
optional; toasted nuts, crushed cereal, coconut, candy,
chocolate shell (recipe below)
Ice Cream Sandwich Directions
1. Place half of cookies face side down on a work surface. Slice ice cream into slabs, cutting through the carton if need be.
2. Using a cookie or biscuit cutter, cut out the ice cream and place it on the cookie. Place another cookie on top of the ice cream. Place sandwiches on a parchment or wax paper lined pan.
3. Freeze sandwiches until they are hard (about 2-4 hours). At this point you can dip the sandwiches in chocolate shell. Place dipped sandwiches back in the freezer until they are frozen hard.
4. Once sandwiches are frozen hard, wrap them individually in wax paper or plastic wrap, and then place them in a zip-top bag in the freezer. They should be good to go for about 1 month…if they last that long.
Mini croissants and peach sorbet. This combo might sound weird, but I had one for breakfast and it was fantastic.
2. Milk and Cookies
Chocolate chip cookies and vanilla ice cream
3. Lemon Zingers
Molasses cookies spread with lemon curd, Limoncello gelato
Sugar cookies, vanilla ice cream mixed with orange sherbet, chocolate shell
5. Pure Nostalgia
Dark chocolate cookies with vanilla ice cream
6. Better than IT
Oatmeal raisin cookies, vanilla ice cream, chocolate shell, and toasted nuts
Chocolate Shell Ingredients
1 pound chocolate, preferably dark, chopped
3 Tablespoons neutral vegetable oil or coconut oil
Chocolate Shell Directions
1. Place chopped chocolate and oil in a microwave safe bowl.
2. Microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir until chocolate melts.
3. Allow chocolate shell to cool before dipping the ice cream sandwiches.