adapted from Butter-Pecan Biscotti by King Arthur Flour
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
3 Tablespoons vegetable shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted*
2/3 cup dried cherries, chopped
2/3 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, shortening and sugar.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the almond extract, baking powder, and salt.
4. Mix in the flour, one cup at a time, until well blended.
5. Add nuts, fruit, and chips, and mix until they are well-distributed throughout the dough.
6. Place dough down the center of a lightly greased baking sheet. With wet hands, pat dough into the shape of a log, about 12 by 4 1/2 inches. Shape dough so that it is slightly mounded in the center, and lower on the sides.
7. Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove dough from the oven and allow it to cool for about 45 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 300°F.
8. Place log on a cutting board and, using a serrated blade, slice on the diagonal into 1 inch wide slices. Place slices, cut side up, on an ungreased baking sheet.
9. Bake for about 20 minutes, turn them over, and bake for about 20 minutes more, or until they are golden and toasty.
* To Toast Nuts- Place nuts in a single layer on an ungreased baking pan and bake at 350°F. for about 7-9 minutes, or until they are golden brown and yummy smelling. Watch them carefully so that they do not burn.