Recipe courtesy of Game Day Fan Fare
To me, sports are the ultimate reality TV; Thrills, chills, passion, joy, elation and heartbreak all rolled into one, plus the whole thing is live! We are total sports nuts at this house and I’m always looking for new recipes to serve during football, baseball, and hockey season. This Pepperoni Bread was easy to make and tasted delicious. I used bread dough, but it was suggested that you could also use pizza crust dough. I used a three-cheese blend of shredded cheese, instead of using chopped Provolone, and it was still great. You could probably put all kinds of goodies in this bread. Enjoy!
1 loaf frozen bread dough, thawed
1 egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (or you can substitute Italian Seasoning for the parsley and oregano )
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt (I used granulated garlic)
1/4-1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4-1/2 pound pepperoni, sliced
1/4-1/2 pound provolone cheese, sliced (I used a shredded 3-cheese blend)
1. Let dough rise according to package directions. Meanwhile, combine egg, seasonings, and Parmesan cheese in a bowl.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces.
3. Roll out one piece of dough into a 10 inch by 8 inch rectangle, about 1/2 inch thick.
4. Spread dough with half of egg mixture. Evenly arrange half the pepperoni and half the provolone cheese over the egg mixture.
5. Roll up dough, starting at a long side, pinching seams together to seal. Repeat process for remaining ingredients. Leave more space between them than I did, though, because as you will see in the next photo, my loaves fused together a little as they baked.
6. Transfer loaves to an ungreased baking sheet, seam side down. Bake for about 35 minutes, or until golden.
7. Slice and serve with pizza sauce.