Recipe adapted from The Complete Book of Baking by Pillsbury
published by Viking Penguin
I’ve made these muffins with every kind of cheese (whatever I have in the house at the time), and tonight I used swiss cheese. Be careful with the cayenne, 1/4 teaspoon is more than it sounds like. If you do not care for spicy foods, skip the cayenne and use ground black pepper instead. Enjoy!
Bobby graced us with his presence and helped to wolf down the muffins.
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/4 cups milk
2 Tablespoons bacon drippings or oil (if you use oil, add 1/4 teaspoon salt with the dry ingredients)
6 slices bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
1 cup cheese (this recipe calls for Jack cheese, Pepper Jack is nice and so is Co-Jack)
1. Heat oven to 400°F.
2. Grease 12 muffin cups.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and cayenne pepper; blend well.
4. Add milk, bacon drippings and egg; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
5. Stir in bacon and cheese.
6. Fill greased muffin cups about 2/3 full.
7. Bake at 400°F. for about 20 minutes, or til golden brown (mine were done at about 18 minutes).
8. Cool in pan for a minute, then serve warm.