Roast Beef Sandwiches recipe courtesy of Woman’s Day Magazine, Hearst Communications, New York, N.Y.
Mushrooms in Guinness recipe courtesy of Guinness.com
The idea for this recipe came to me as I flipped through the March 2013 Woman’s Day magazine and saw a beautiful roast beef sandwich. It was topped with arugula, which is not that appealing to my husband. He loves mushrooms, and Guinness had a terrific recipe for mushrooms on their website, so I just combined the two recipes into this roast beef/mushroom-and-beer mash-up. He was a very happy man, indeed. Enjoy!
4 sandwich rolls (I used multi-grain hamburger buns)
1/2 pound thinly sliced roast beef
1/3 cup sour cream
1 Tablespoon prepared horseradish
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed and sliced
2 ounces onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 ounce butter
1/2 bottle Guinness draught
salt and pepper
1/4 cup cream
2 Tablespoons beef or brown gravy
2 Tablespoons roux (butter/flour mixture), to thicken gravy
1. Melt butter, soften onions and garlic.
2. Add mushrooms. Partially cook without letting onions brown.
3. Add Guinness, cook on full heat until Guinness is reduced by half.
4. Add cream and gravy, thicken with the roux, and add seasonings.
5. Meanwhile, mix together horseradish, sour cream and Dijon mustard. Spread evenly on the bottom buns. Stack roast beef on top of the horseradish mixture.
6. Once the gravy has thickened, top the roast beef with the mushrooms and add some of the gravy.