Recipe courtesy of Allen & Petersen, in Anchorage, Alaska
Sweet Italian Desserts Cooking Class
A Granita is an Italian ice that is served as a light dessert (perfect for summer), and/or as a palate cleanser in-between courses. It is light, tart and just a bit sweet. It looks especially pretty served in a champagne glass or ice cream dish with a sprig of mint. Enjoy!
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup water
1. Zest the lemons using a zester or grater, a Microplane works great for this.
2.Place the zest in a saucepan with the sugar and water and bring to a simmer until all the sugar is dissolved.
3. Strain the liquid into a shallow pan that is freezer proof. Cool to room temperature.
4. Juice all 3 lemons and strain the juice to remove seeds and excess pulp. Stir the mixture together and freeze.
5. Every 20-30 minutes, scrape and stir the mixture, breaking apart any lumps that may be forming.
6. Repeat until it’s almost frozen. This step creates the Granita’s signature texture. Serve it slightly slushy.
7. To make ahead of time; Do steps 1-6, freeze. About an hour before serving, remove from freezer and allow to sit on the counter until it becomes slushy. Stir and put back in freezer a couple of times, then serve.