Cowboy Calico Beans are courtesy of Taste of Home.com
1/2 pound bacon, chopped into small pieces
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons mustard
4- 16 ounce cans beans (I used cannellini beans, kidney beans, black-eyed peas, and pork-n-beans)
1. In a large pan or Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and drain it on a paper towel, leaving the bacon fat in the pan.
2. Saute onion in bacon fat until soft and translucent.
3. Add beans to onions in pot.
4. Add brown sugar, ketchup, cider vinegar, mustard, and crispy bacon to beans and stir.
5. Place mixture in a crock pot and cook on low for 2-3 hours, or place on top of the stove and cook on low for about 1 1/2 hours.
My friend, Cindy P., brought these beans to my house once for a get-together, and they were so good. I made this batch for Super Bowl XLVIII, in honor of the Denver Broncos (I made Salmon Sandwiches for their opponent, the Seattle Seahawks). The original recipe uses hamburger, but when it came time to make these I was fresh out. So I replaced the hamburger with bacon and it was yummy. Enjoy!